Entanglement, Quantum Mechanics and Daoism:
(Note on browsers: Chrome works best, Safari works, Camino works,
Firefox works slowly.)
Here is an overview of "entanglement" and how two main groups of
physicists understand it:
Explanations of the above chart that shows (bottom to top) (1) What is
available to us in experience, (2) The way that Niels Bohr and his
group explained these findings theoretically, (3) the way
Einstein and his group explained these empirical facts theoretically,
and (4) something about the way that different groups can interpret the
theories and make them apply to the real world.
1. Laboratory apparatus Entanglement
Laser, BBO crystal, pairs of photons emitted, clockwise spin for one,
counterclockwise spin for the other
2. Results such as spin Entanglement
Photons stay "out of touch with the universe" until something interacts
with them. We can measure their spins, which are correlated.
3. How Bohr, Heisenberg, et al. see things (1) Entanglement
Psi (Ψ) functions describe present state and probabilities of
future states of the photons. Superposition of states.
4. How Bohr, Heisenberg, et al. see things (2) Entanglement
The catch is that they have to be different, but we can't explain why
they will be different. Otherwise its like.... Sorry, see
5. How Bohr, Heisenberg, et al. see things (3) Entanglement
(Tail end of the previous segment. Sorry, segments are limited to 5
6. Einstein et al. think hidden variables are involved (1) Entanglement
Shouldn't both photons make a "free will" decision on how to spin? They
do not both choose randomly.
7. Daoist interpretation (1) Daoist
01 Humans use concepts to create
and to understand their
8. Daoist interpretation (2) Daoist
02 Concepts are used to explain the laser experiment to
ourselves, and certain factors are available to empirical examination.
9. Daoist interpretation (3) Daoist
03 Interpersonal objects are experiences that can be shared
with other people. Parts of the experiment are not experienced.
10. Daoist interpretation (4) Daoist
04 Humans get clear evidence for some things, but
much of what happens is hidden. We need convenient fictions to help us
11. Daoist interpretation (5) Daoist
05 How can "how to spin" be coordinated
instantaneously over any distance?
12. Daoist interpretation (6) Daoist
06 Why isn't spin of the second photon a matter of
chance? ? The unexpected...
13. Daoist interpretation (7) Daoist
07 Between laser and detection device has to be a
matter of a model constructed on the basis of partial knowledge.